Vermillion Monitor 10/29/1897

  • The Times reports that a good many hogs are dying with the cholera around Centralia.
  • Mrs. H.M. Wade and little daughter, went to Frankfort, Saturday, to visit with Mrs. F.B. Farley.
  • Miss Anna Calnan started, last Monday, for a several weeks’ visit with relatives in Brown County.
  • Mr. and Mrs. B.W. Smith visited with relatives at Burchard, Nebraska last week.
  • F.J. Nash ordered the MONITOR sent to his brother, H.S. Nash, at Seattle, Washington during the past week.
  • Mrs. S. Curtis and Miss Gertie Johnson drove over to Frankfort, Tuesday, returning home in the evening.
  • The writer and wife will in a few days be at home in rooms in Mrs. E.G. William’s residence in the north part of town.
  • The name of G.W. Warren was added to our Vermillion list this week.
  • Frank Horth, a grain dealer from Vermillion, was in Centralia visiting his parents on Sunday.
  • The third quarterly meeting of Vermillion charge will be held at the Megatagan school house, Oct. 31 and Nov.1. Rev. R.E. McBride will be present.
  • The report of the election judges and clerks for Noble township as given us last week was slightly in error. H.D. Williams is the judge and J.S. Dodson the clerk, instead of vice versa, as published last week.
  • A.E. Mayhew has shelled and shipped the larger part of the corn he has had cribbed in this city since last season. He will have about twelve car loads when he has finished shelling.
  • Mr. and Mrs. Robert C. Wilson and daughter, returned to Bigelow Saturday, after a pleasant visit of a few days with friends in the city and vicinity. They will start for home, Texas, the last of the week.
  • Mrs. D.M. Granger entertained folks at her home one evening last week, in honor of the eighth birthday of her little niece, Miss Edna, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.W. Granger.
  • Thos. Condon and son Fred, of Pawnee City, Nebraska, came to this city the last of the week for a visit with I.M. Leonard. the former who is state veterinarian of Nebr, returned home Monday, the latter being still here, the guest of friends.
  • On Friday, October 22, 1897, at the home of her parents, Martha Oreana died at the age 13 years, 6 months and 17 days, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Chilson. The cause of death was perilonitis, superinduced by typhoid malaria.
  • This is the third death in this family within the past two months and it would seem that the parents have borne their full share of sorrow.
  • Two brothers of little Oreana preceded her to the world beyond by only a few weeks, and her remains were taken to Seneca and laid beside those of her brothers, Saturday. The people of the entire community extend their heartfelt sympathy to the parents in their great sorrow.
  • W.C. Arnold moved his restaurant from the Bashford building to the Duffy building, across the street south last Monday.
  • S.W. Shepherd has rented Mr. G. J.T. Dille’s farm southeast of town for two years and is putting up large new cribs and hog sheds on the same.
  • V.D. Crawford and John Richards were out in the country, Monday, each trying to buy a pair of mules, but they could find none for sale at a price to suit them.
  • As a result of a row among the school children, and the arrest and fine of Jason Grable by S. Curtis, spoken of last week, Mr. Grable has caused the arrest of Mr. Curtis’ son, Ross, on the charge of assault, or assault with intent to kill, we have been unable to learn which. The lad’s trial has been set for next Saturday, and will be held at Frankfort. So goeth the second chapter, and we understand the story is to be continued, even after the boys’ trial has ended.
  • Jacob Steckel is working for John Potter at present.
  • Miss Minnie Farrar, of Frankfort, and Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Orchard, of Vliet, spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. John Hone.
  • Rev. D.J. Crooks, aged 62 years and 1 day, died at his home near Beattie, on the 16th last, of heart failure. The remains were interred in the Frankfort cemetery. Deceased was well known by many in and around Vermillion, who will be sorry to hear of his death.
  • A letter received from Jeff Johnson stated that he landed in Galesburg, Illinois, all safe and sound. He likes the place very much.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *