Community Attractions and Businesses
Vermillion Historic Museum
Vermillion History Rooms are located on the second level of the City/Library building. The floors, walls and ceiling of the upstairs in the building have been restored. Item received for display have been catalogued and photographed for the records kept. Each room has been decorated according to the theme: bedroom, kitchen, parlor, schoolroom, family research, storage and processing of incoming items.
The first “Open House” for the History Rooms was held Memorial Day, 2008, by Joann Dannels, Becky Shepherd and the library board. Many attended this event which preceded the Alumni banquet. All donations for display are appreciated.
The Historical Rooms are open during Library Hours and when requested for a viewing. 785-382-6227.
Vermillion Historic Depot
In 1869, the Central Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad made an offer to the settlers along the Black Vermillion River. “If you build a depot, we will establish a town.” The settlers built the depot using native cottonwood trees, milled on site. The Railroad arrived in Vermillion and the city began to grow.
The Vermillion Depot is the first depot to be constructed in Nobel township, Marshall County, Kansas. When the Railroad abandoned the Central Branch, the depot was purchased by a local organization and then it was moved to the east of the Vermillion City Building and Public Library.
By the 1890’s, Vermillion was a thriving community of 348. It was incorporated as a City of the county in 1899. W. H. DeWalt was elected the first mayor in April of 1899. Councilmen elected were J.O. Schafer, Dr. Pampel, H.D. Williams, G.W. Warren, and A. D. Crooks. J.S. Dodson was elected Police Judge; Marcus Leonard, Marshall’ and Richard Russell, Street Commissioner.
The Depot is open to the public upon request. Call the Vermillion library at 785-382-6227 for more information.
Vermillion City Park
We hope you will take time to visit and use our beautiful park that has six RV hookups, shower and restroom facilities and a concession stand accessible and near to the bleachers. The Grandstand was repaired in memory of Timmy and Robert Lee.
There is a horseshoe area and the roads are used frequently as a walking path.
There are children’s swings, slide and even an antique tractor for the children to play on. The park holds annual tractor pulls and is available for family gatherings, reunions and other structured activities. Use of the park facilities must be reserved ahead of the date being requested.
The burn site is for brush and trees only. No building or demo materials, boards, plywood, plasterboard, pallets or metal; no boxes or plastic bags are to be left at the tree burn site. Please use the trash service or county landfill for these items. This site is for residents of the city only and not for out-of-town users.